The Blind Water by Iraqi Writer/Storyteller Hassan Blasim

A Section from the Blind Water 
Originally written in Arabic by the Iraqi Writer/Storyteller and poet: 
Hassan Balasim 
Translation To English by: Bedor Alobaidi 



Iraqi poet
Hassan Blasim/Iraqi Writer, Storyteller. poet and cinema script writer


A few days ago, I received a letter from a disturbed writer explaining contemporary writing in a religious tone. I think the man's heart breaks a pain in the way how I write sperm. I also guessed that he is one of the peaceful writers who writes in order to enter the Academy of Clean Arabic Writing. Pure, and well mashed in a grammar mills. I think the man is a loyal language guard with an honest intention. I don't know what the language and the rest of the holy cows would be like without these writers. I think that if I left things for a writer like me, they would milk the cow to the last drop and slaughter it in the middle of the afternoon in front of the slaves. 

What really bothered me in his letter was his medical tone, as what the wounds of the country he touched on in his letter had nothing to do with what I write. Then who told him I was writing to save my life? I prefer to masturbate without interruption than to treat my life by writing. I'm just writing about mallory, man. Then can a poor man heal me? God bless your soul in heaven, Son of Zakaria Al Razi! As the son of a bitch, Mansour al-Samani, had treated Al Razi with unforgivable rudeness. He ordered al-Razi to be beaten with his book until his head is broken or the book was destroyed over his head. 

Poor Alrazi, he failed in some of his chemical research sought by al-Samani. They say that al-Razi's sight weakened after this incident, so he tried (the dipsomaniac) like our brother, the author, to heal him. Bring some medicines to treat al-Razi's eyesight. However, Abu Bakr ibn Zakaria asked al-Kahal before agreeing to his medication, about the layers of the eyes. He answered Al Kahal that he knew nothing about these layers.


Then Al-Razi answered with sadness: he prefers to lose his sight rather than to heal him as if he knew nothing about the tissues of the eyes. I know that my anger at your message will corner me in the same glass vanity facade. There is no point in shouting in poems: I am a cockroach, to self-deprecating under the pretext of humility. Anyone who wants to do this has to wake up and manage the predicament of his day like the terrified Kafka. Believe me, I can understand the maternal wisdom that encapsulated your tone in the letter, my friend. I really apologize to you. I didn't mean to make fun of him. You know, like me, such story is repeated: a man over the age of three decade who thinks he has captured the essence of despair. And another in the middle of the fourth laughs at him. Whoever on the fifth floor makes fun of the fourth man spitting and muttering: despair is blood floating in my blood. The man, whose in his six decade , is content to give his hand to what these men fancy. 

Thus, the higher the ladder is, the more we admire ourselves as wise men and teachers. A 10-year-old boy is desperate. The only difference between men and this fine boy is the river of death. 

Men drown while the boy is still a pupil. A fish is still in her school river. I don't know if you know much about the fish world. As I understand that you are busy these days by writing a poem in which you will prove the miracle of the Arabic language, and near to your pillow the fish dictionaries sleeps. 

God help you. But the fish in the dish in front of you matters more to me. Please, make sure the fish isn't of lung fish. These fish are descended from prehistoric origins. You should know that I envy this fish for his poetic will. Imagine he is able to breathe even while the lake is dry. Hiding in the mud and remaining alive until the rain comes again. I think that man is not much different from him in the ability to soak in the squints for a handful of air coming. I don't agree with you much on this matter. The human defense movement is devoid of asceticism and coordination. It's just a random, bloody movement. The reality of our defenses often goes beyond our deepest desires for revenge.


2008 



مقطع من نص مياه العميان:

: حسن بلاسم

تمت الترجمة الى اللغة الانكليزية: بدور العبيدي 

تلقيت قبل ايام رسالة من كاتب منزعج يشرح لي طرق الكتابة المعاصرة بنبرة دينية. أظن أن قلب الرجل يتفطر وجعا على طريقة كتابتي المنوية. خمنت ايضا انه من الكتاب المسالمين الذي يكتبون من اجل الدخول الى اكاديمية الكتابة العربية النظيفة. النقية. المهروسة جيدا في مطحنة النحو. اظن ان الرجل حارس لغة مخلص وذو نية شريفة. لا أدري كيف سيكون حال اللغة وبقية الابقار المقدسة من دون هؤلاء الكتاب. اعتقد انه لو تركت الامور لكتاب على شاكلتي، لحلبوا البقرة حتى اخر قطرة وذبحوها في منتصف الظهيرة على مرأى العبيد. ما ازعجني حقا في رسالته نبرته التطبيبية ، إذ ما علاقة جروح البلاد التي تطرق اليها في رسالته بما اكتب. ثم من قال له انني اكتب من اجل انقاذ حياتي. أفضل ان استمني من دون انقطاع على ان اداوي حياتي بالكتابة. انا اكتب عن حقد فحسب يارجل. ثم هل يمكن لكحال مسكين ان يشفيني. الله يرحمك يا ابن زكريا الرازي! ابن القحبة منصور السماني اساء معاملته بوقاحة لا تغتفر. أمر بضرب الرازي بكتابه الى أن يتحطم رأسه أو يتحطم الكتاب. فالرازي المسكين فشل في بعض ابحاثه الكيميائية التي طلبها منه السماني. يقولون ان بصر الرازي ضعف بعد هذه الحادثة، فحاول (كحال) مثل اخينا صاحب الرسالة مداواته. جلب بعض الادوية لمعالجة بصر الرازي. غير أن أبا بكر بن زكريا سأل الكحال قبل أن يوافق على مداواته، عن طبقات العيون. أجاب الكحال انه لا يعرف شيئا عن هذه الطبقات. اجابه الرازي بحزن: انه يفضل ان يفقد بصره على ان يداويه كحال لا يعرف عن أنسجة العيون شيئا. أنا اعرف ان غضبي من رسالتك سيحشرني معك في واجهة الغرور الزجاجية نفسها. لا فائدة من الصراخ في القصائد: انا صرصار، لتحقير الذات بذريعة التواضع. كل من يريد ذلك ما عليه الا ان يفيق ممسوخا ويتدبر مأزق يومه مثل المرعوب كافكا. صدقني يمكنني ان اتفهم الحكمة الأمومية التي غلفت نبرتك في الرسالة يا صديقي. اعتذر منك حقا. لم اقصد السخرية. انت تعرف مثلي جيدا هذه الحكاية المكرورة: رجل تجاوز العقد الثالث من عمره يظن انه امسك بجوهر اليأس. واخر في منتصف الرابع يضحك منه. ومن في الطابق الخامس يسخر من الرجل في الرابع وهو يبصق ويتمتم: اليأس دمٌ يطوف في دمي. أما الرجل الذي هو في السادس فيكتفي بهز يده على ما يتوهمه هؤلاء الرجال. وهكذا كلما صعدنا السلم زاد اعجابنا بأنفسنا كحكماء ومعلمين. صبي في العاشرة من عمره هو اليأس بعينه. الفارق الوحيد بين الرجال وهذا الصبي الجميل هو نهر الموت. الرجال يغرقون بينما الصبي تلميذ مازال يقرأ فيه. سمكة مازال النهر مدرستها. لا أدري ان كنت تعرف الكثير عن عالم الاسماك. حسب ما فهمت انك مشغول هذه الايام بكتابة قصيدة ستثبت فيها إعجاز اللغة العربية، وقرب وسادتك تنام المعاجم السمكية. الله في عونك. لكن السمكة في الطبق الذي امامك تهمني أكثر. ارجوك، تأكد من ان السمكة ليست من جنس (سمك الرئة). هذه الاسماك تنحدر اصولها من ما قبل التاريخ. لك أن تعرف بأني أحسد هذا السمك على ارادته الشعرية. تخيل انه قادر على التنفس حتى حين تجف البحيرة. يختبئ في الوحل ويظل حيا الى ان ينزل المطر مرة اخرى. اعتقد ان الانسان لا يختلف كثيرا عنه في القدرة على التمرغ في الوحول من اجل حفنة هواء قادمة. لا اتفق معك كثيرا في هذه المسألة. فحركة الانسان الدفاعية تخلو من الزهد والتنسيق. إنها مجرد حركة عشوائية ـ دموية. وفي كثير من الأحيان لاتتعدى حقيقة وسائلنا الدفاعية حدود رغباتنا الدفينة في الانتقام.



٢٠٠٨
























Bedor Alobaidi/ Interested to ask me a question? Please go ahead. I will be more than happy to do my best in answering if it's something related to my personal knowledge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rising of the Moon By Lady Gregory: In Summary

The Rough Theatre

The Deadly Theatre